Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index Canadian Hoops Talk
In Support Of The Game

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "R" Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pistol pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams leave town empty handed after dropping an 81-73 decision to the U of Ottawa Gee Gees.
Ryerson looked like they were going to earn a split on their road trip to the capital after leading 41-31 at the break.
But the Gee Gees blew the Rams doors off in the third quarter 31-10, turning a 10 point deficit into an 11 point lead, 62-51.
Ryerson desperately tried to close the gap in the 4th but couldn't turn the game back in their favour.
bleachers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see the Ottawa/Ryerson game but, over on CIS Hoops, the Rams shot selection was questioned. In the game against Carleton, the Rams put up a number of very deep 3s (and made quite a few of them!). Those long, deep 3s look impressive but, just as an example, Mukama put up a shot way outside NBA range with the game on the line and missed badly. A former player sitting behind me commented that Mukama looked like he was going to take that shot all the way up the floor - no matter what other options were available. Good shooters do need to have a "no fear mentality" but live by the sword.....

Reports from the Ottawa game indicate that Voll left the game injured. Big, big loss to the Rams if he can't go.

Impressive to me that Ottawa wins that game without Pierre-Charles.
Brian Mersereau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Coach Rana got too much on his plate! Ryerson has a pretty good skill set to put on the floor but they do not appear most of the time to function as a well oiled Team driven by a strong coaching staff. Not quite Toronto city ball as practiced by Phil Dixon et al but not far from. Polar opposite of CU.
bleachers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoopipedia wrote:
Ryerson doesn't need to go 4-0 vs Ottawa teams to avoid #3 or #4 seed. Going 3-1 or 2-2 will keep Ryerson in the mix for the #2 seed.

I must admit I jumped the gun suggesting that Ryerson had to win all four games against Carleton/Ottawa to have a realistic chance at not finishing in one of the lower playoff seeds and, therefore, have to travel in the OUA quarterfinals and the OUA semifinals (presumably at Brock).

As hoopipedia correctly pointed out, the Rams could go 2-2 and still finish 2nd (at that time even 1st).

Finishing 2nd could still happen but, with the Voyageurs winning in Sudbury tonight, the "R Series" needs to be expanded - and may be expanded further if the Rams can't stop the bleeding.

The Rams now need to beat Carleton, Ottawa and Laurentian when these teams visit Toronto. For the latter two teams, they will need to beat them by more points than in the 2 losses they suffered. The Rams also need to ensure they don't lose any other games AND will need the games to be played between their chief opponents for 2nd place go a certain way.

Possible but....
Brian Mersereau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Rye won last night it was obviously a complete one man show. It will be tough for them to win against the better teams when the hitting gets heavy.
pistol pete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Mersereau wrote:
While Rye won last night it was obviously a complete one man show. It will be tough for them to win against the better teams when the hitting gets heavy.

Yeah, Manny Diressa had himself a game last night for sure.
50 points with 30 coming from 3 as he went 50% on his perimeter shots (10-20) and 14-15 FTs made.
15 rebounds and 4 assists and he just missed the Ryerson team record for points in a game by two.
Scary thing is Ryerson needed practically all of his 50 points because his team mates managed only 33 combined.
The game was a lot closer than the final score (83-70) indicated.
It was 66-65 Ryerson with just six minutes left to play before the Rams finally started pulling away from 2-13 York.
And the kicker is...it was at the Mattamy Centre.
whitsend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the Ravens game last Saturday night at York. At the start of the game I boldly predicted a 60 point margin for the Ravens, and early in the second quarter the Ravens led by 17 points and I thought my prediction was "safe". By the time I walked out of the gym I wondered how York could possibly be just a 2-12 team. They played hard defence, plugged up the lanes, and never quit against a team that just kept rolling fresh substitutions on to the floor.
I came away with a very positive impression of the Lions--higher than I've had for many, many seasons. You might recall that just last year the Ravens defeated the Lions at York 114-50, and led 38-4 after the first quarter! So, I was not the least surprised when they gave the Rams a good run last night at Mattamy. Any team that takes the Lions too lightly for the rest of this season does so at great risk of losing. They are a far better team than their record indicates.
alley cat2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game at nest last night between Ravens and Laurentian. Ravens without starting centre Ekiyor.

Ravens led start to finish and had leadsof over 20. Anderson shut down Gray in 1 st half, no field goals and just 2 points. Voyageurs made a big come back with outside shots with Gray on the bench.
Ravens outplayed in 4 th quarter and missed their shots. Too little too late for Sudbury but should give OU all they can handle tonight.
pistol pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alley cat2 wrote:
Good game at nest last night between Ravens and Laurentian. Ravens without starting centre Ekiyor.

Ravens led start to finish and had leadsof over 20. Anderson shut down Gray in 1 st half, no field goals and just 2 points. Voyageurs made a big come back with outside shots with Gray on the bench.
Ravens outplayed in 4 th quarter and missed their shots. Too little too late for Sudbury but should give OU all they can handle tonight.

For the first 26 minutes, CU was in complete control of the game.
They led 21-9 after one quarter and were up 38-20 at the break.
The Ravens continued to stifle the Vees attack and six minutes into the 3rd quarter were up by 26, 53-27.
Laurentian was teetering on the verge of humiliation when they started to push back.
LU went on a 12-5 run to close out the quarter but Carleton was still comfortably ahead 58-39.
With eight and a half minutes to go the Ravens were up 65-45 and seemed headed for a pretty easy win.
Then the fun began.
Laurentian outscored Carleton over the final 7:36 by 22-6.
With a minute to go, the Vees cut the lead to one possession, 69-67.
The Ravens made a couple of FTs and fended off LU's last push and escaped with a win.

Box score:

http://oua.ca/sports/mbkb/2017-18/boxscores/20180119_l89p.xml?view=plays
Rally Doug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Anderson made Kadre Gray look like a very ordinary player, hardly a POY candidate. Then again, Anderson must be one of the favourites for defensive POY in U Sports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index -> CIS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: