Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index Canadian Hoops Talk
In Support Of The Game

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of discussion board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tordawg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pistol pete wrote:

Banishment?
I'm not sure about that.
I believe Info said in one of his last posts he was going abroad to a place where internet is not available.
Iceman, who was responsible for 99.9% of the posts on non CIS topics, seemed rather agitated with the moderators in his last few posts.
I think he just quit in a huff.
Chet and Bigsmoke?
I think Chet (and maybe Smoke) just lost interest for the most part because CU is dominating so much.

I had a communication with Chet and he definitely got caught off, as opposed to losing interest due to Carleton domination. Assume much the same for BigSmoke as they had both just finished ripping into mfelt for the continuing coverage of the York discombobulation. If that is not banishment then I need a new dictionary. PP that is quite a supposition to assume that everyone is turned off by the success of The Ravens. For some having a target to shoot for is a good thing and for others seeing a Canadian success story leaves one warm and fuzzy, like an Edmonton Grads kind of thing. As for Info, where is this place on the planet that has no internet? Moderators?
X-Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to check on my last post....

X-Man Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:04 am wrote:
Since 2003 the OUA has amassed 16 wins against 323 losses vs Carleton. All but 5 OUA teams haven't won a single game vs Carleton in 13 years.

Has anything changed since then? Let's see...Carleton lost 5 games 2 years ago including the first back to back losses in 15 years!!!! O!!M!!G!!

The sky is falling the sky is falling - this is the most exciting basketball in years!! Who could have possibly won the title that year?? (you know who - by 22 points).

In 2015 the OUA had 16 wins and 323 losses against Carleton since 2003 and only 5 OUA teams had managed a win against Carleton.

Well now it's 15 years, no other OUA teams have beaten Carleton even once and the total record is 22 wins and 381 losses. Exciting times!

Yeah, yeah, I know the response, but the rest of Usports blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda.

Here, this is USports basketball discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY
THB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tordawg wrote:
pistol pete wrote:

Banishment?
I'm not sure about that.
I believe Info said in one of his last posts he was going abroad to a place where internet is not available.
Iceman, who was responsible for 99.9% of the posts on non CIS topics, seemed rather agitated with the moderators in his last few posts.
I think he just quit in a huff.
Chet and Bigsmoke?
I think Chet (and maybe Smoke) just lost interest for the most part because CU is dominating so much.

I had a communication with Chet and he definitely got caught off, as opposed to losing interest due to Carleton domination. Assume much the same for BigSmoke as they had both just finished ripping into mfelt for the continuing coverage of the York discombobulation. If that is not banishment then I need a new dictionary. PP that is quite a supposition to assume that everyone is turned off by the success of The Ravens. For some having a target to shoot for is a good thing and for others seeing a Canadian success story leaves one warm and fuzzy, like an Edmonton Grads kind of thing. As for Info, where is this place on the planet that has no internet? Moderators?

There are still places on this planet of ours that do not have internet. Good on them.

As to the main question, I think that Carleton has raised the level of university basketball in Canada.
RyderDA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a westerner...

I could pretty much care less about Carelton, because my chances of seeing them are zero. I could watch them on TV but that's not really that interesting to me.

If I ignore Carelton (which is easy if you try), I can see that Canada West, now and for the last whole lot of years, has featured incredible competitiveness. On any night, any team can win or lose. There is no one dominant team. There are waves of Bears, Dinos, Birds, Huskies, Bobcats, Vikings and others. Just when you think one team is obvious, someone like Manitoba come out of the woodwork and beats them and takes the Canada West title (last year). A top team goes on the road and one night kills, the next night is killed (this year, Calgary-Brandon). A team swoops into a dominant team's gym and the same thing can happen (this year, Alberta-Victoria). Two dominant teams on paper finally clash and it turns out one's not so dominant as people thought (this year, Calgary-UBC, or even Lethbridge-Regina).

I don't see that things are more competitive than they have been out west. It's been like this for years. I think the whole RPI "thing" was put in place to account for that.

I care about CanWest's Women's hoops FAR more than I care about any goings on in the OUA or RESQ or AUS, including Carelton. I don't care that the whole country, annually for the last 15 years, has fought to find out who comes in 2nd in the country (it's true for the women, too -- just not one team dominating with Carelton-like consistency, but instead Windsor for years and Saskatchewan, SFU and UBC).

If you want to see USports competitiveness in action in bball, look no farther than CanadaWest. And I, for one, could give a flip about the success of the Ravens.
Atlantic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should care. There is a whole lot of good ball being played east of Manitoba. East of Quebec for that matter. Carleton is not without weakness. They can be beat. Tune into a game streaming and take a look. Brock was looking unstoppable for a time but its long a year and teams that don't use their full bench on a regular basis, or at least in games they win by double digits, are prone to be upset by underdogs when injuries, foul troubles or just off night shooting problems arise. Its a long season and its rare for a team to go unscathed with a short bench. Those teams often get upset in the playoffs. You won't know that if you only watch the home games live. I love watching Acadia play but I know the CIS doesn't revolve around them.

Canada West online is great and I've seen some good games but its a big country. Take in a few from out here. It'll be worth your while and its a lot cheaper than Canada West TV.
Toolatecrew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you donít want to talk about or read about Carlton there really isnít much content on here to discuss. Admittedly I donít watch much CIS outside of the AUS during the regular season (other the occasional game to see hat a team that I may see in National s looks like). Maybe becuase many people are like that when they post something about their own league other than Ontario it gets little to no response and after a while they just give up.
Not saying I have a solution simply an observation.
Obsidian Blade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the removal of the stickies was a good idea....CWUAA is too generic to look at . the Specific topics are more interesting and draw attention. When a new one pops up I look at it. Somehow when it falls down the page i don't look . Conditioning I guess.
THB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the removal of the "Stickies" could be beneficial. Initially, I'd thought this was a way to broaden discussion. And maybe it was, but it has slowed to a crawl now, and had probably run it's course.

The downside I see is that many more posts now are about intimate knowledge of players and teams, past and present, and many of us know nothing of the names that are being thrown up. So we cannot respond. Which reduces discussion.

What I hope is that this forum can still talk about both the details of players, coaches, results, history, current events... but remain together on how this sport and it's history brings us together. And will in the future.
THB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toolatecrew wrote:
If you donít want to talk about or read about Carlton there really isnít much content on here to discuss. Admittedly I donít watch much CIS outside of the AUS during the regular season (other the occasional game to see hat a team that I may see in National s looks like). Maybe becuase many people are like that when they post something about their own league other than Ontario it gets little to no response and after a while they just give up.

And perhaps you may want to get your spelling correct, going forward? Where is this team Carlton that you talk about?

There, you see, we have already started a new thread!
pistol pete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THB wrote:
Toolatecrew wrote:

And perhaps you may want to get your spelling correct, going forward? Where is this team Carlton that you talk about?

THB, you're not helping matters. Rolling Eyes
THB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pistol pete wrote:
THB wrote:
Toolatecrew wrote:

THB, you're not helping matters. Rolling Eyes

And how should I help matters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index -> CIS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: