Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index Canadian Hoops Talk
In Support Of The Game

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NCAA Exhibition Games in August

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rally Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: NCAA Exhibition Games in August Reply with quote

There are over 60 exhibition games against NCAA teams coming up in August.

What do people think of these games? Do you attend them? Do you attach any importance to how your team does in these games?

At Carleton (sorry, but I am a Ravens fan), these games are very popular and a lot of importance is attached to them. They provide a good indication of what the team will look like once the season starts. Sometimes, we have a pleasant surprise and a new player shows up that we did not know about such as Kajami-Keane and Owootoah, the past two years.

Although there are lots of games scheduled, the quality of the visiting NCAA teams has dropped off dramatically. The days of playing the likes of Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse or Wisconsin are fading memories right now. Perhaps, the much talked about visit by Kentucky next August might actually take place.

Not sure why we are missing out on top teams. Canada is certainly a cheap and safe trip for visiting schools. Perhaps, they are reluctant to play against Carleton and have to deal with the consequences back home of a loss to a Canadian team. In fact, two teams that the Ravens demolished last August, did not even report the results of their losses against Carleton on their websites, even though they reported the results of their other games in Canada.

I would be most interested in hearing from fans of other U Sport teams so that this thread does not just become a Carleton fanboy thread.
RyderDA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of "big name" NCAA teams come to Calgary, but we always get visits from a Montana based school, and UofC makes a small tournament out of it. These games are good because there's no other Dino's games until October, so it's the "only" chance for play that's not intra-squad.

But they're also kinda pointless because the teams have barely started practicing together. It's probably worse for the US schools who don't start league play until mid November. They're almost always a who-hash of rule compromises, and the US teams HATE short shot clocks (so much fun to watch the first quarter of the first game and see them try to figure out how to play fast and not waste 30 seconds of each play).

I try to see them but put no stake into the outcomes whatsoever. For me it's a chance to see the new recruits play (often the only time they newbies will, as the final team is not selected and almost anyone could redshirt at this stage), and see how we're going to adapt without the graduates. There aren't enough games, so I try to see all that I can, but missing these is no biggie.

Do I care that "top" teams don't come? No. Why on earth would "Duke" spend all that money to come to Calgary to play in front of 30 people (because attendance is always dismal)? Would an under-practiced Dino vs under-practiced North Carolina game be any better than a game against an under-practiced Hoboken team?
[/list]
Anothercarletonfan93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree best part is seeing recruits and transfers, even the improvement of second year guys. The scores are only relevant to compare to other Canadian teams playing the same team.

I don't think the top schools see the same value in coming to Canada as the mid majors. In my opinion it would be similar to Usports schools travelling south to play division 2/3 teams, or playing some games against CCAA teams.

I think some of the top programs would welcome Canadian schools into their gyms but don't want to play on the road. They try to book a heavy home schedule for their non conference regular season games as well. All about the money.
loons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a great joy out of seeing quality college basketball close up, at home for crazy little money!
I don’t think this has anything to do with the money! More importantly, I think you miss the point of the value of a “foreign tour”. It is extremely large to all programs. The 10 days of practice, scrimmaging or playing against non team members and coming together as a team are very, very valuable. As Valuable in the “One & Done” era and to any team, whether trying to integrate transfers or freshmen, or trying to make that run with a headstart with a bunch of seniors.
Playing the Ravens holds extra value as they compete on every possession, and force the opposition to WORK to defeat their adversary, who will not defeat themselves!
Some coaches have even noted that they have grown as coaches being exposed to our game, like the Cincinnati, Wisconsin and Louisville Coaches.
Do not discount the quality of basketball played by our U Sports teams, and the quality of the FIBA game! uOtt and Carleton as well as McGill force the NCAA teams to bring it to win!
Remember this is the land that molded the man who invented our great game. Dr. James Naismith from Almonte, Ontario, Canada. Educated at McGill U. & Montreal Presbytery College!!
Rally Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my initial post in this thread, I forgot to mention that so far there are only two NCAA exhibition games scheduled against U Sport women's teams.

Not sure what gives here as last August there were a good number of games against some excellent NCAA opposition.
Tordawg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night it was the Texas version of SMU 98 and Ryerson 86. Ryerson was without the services of Diressa, Chavis, Voll and Rana. RU has some new guys getting used to being in the mix and it showed at times. Especially when they squandered the lead. However, when they had their veterans on the floor they were taking it to SMU. JV is going to be special this season as he has now added a trey off the bounce to his repertoire. He grabbed 3 real man rebounds. From the sounds of other reports USport will have some exciting competitions this coming year.
Rally Doug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Ottawa continued their poor FT shooting last night against Alabama (3 for 11). It cost them a trip to the finals last season and may do the same again this year.
Anothercarletonfan93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoqua looks like a high energy guy, and looked pretty good with and without the ball. Not a big threat to drive in and attack, but he's quick and finds a way to get open if they need to kick it out.
RyderDA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to see the Dinos play Montana State (which doesn't have a single player from Montana on it). The Dinos were short:
* 2 top starting guards and the Coach who are all off playing with the USports U19 team;
* A starting forward recovering from off-season surgery; plus
* 2-3 new recruits who haven't even joined the team yet
and so played an 8 man rotation with only 9 players dressed. One player got ~2 minutes.

Was it fun? Sure. Did it have anything to do with what's going to happen this season? I doubt it.

The highlight of the game was when the Dinos trapped a Montana player in the backcourt and he tried to call for a time out. As noted, watching them adapt to FIBA rules is part of the fun.
Rally Doug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rally Doug wrote:
I see that Ottawa continued their poor FT shooting last night against Alabama (3 for 11). It cost them a trip to the finals last season and may do the same again this year.

Ottawa really improved their FT shooting against Division III Ramapo with a blistering 52% success rate. Will this be their season high or low?
MartinTimmerman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NCAA games are now completed. Full results at http://usportshoops.ca/mbb2017/cisncaa.html

Against NCAA Division I teams, U Sports had a 22-41 record, for 34.9% winning percentage, which is just marginally less than last years record of 35.6%.

Carleton led the way with 9 wins in 11 official games, but other teams to record wins in August include Alberta, Brock, Laurentian, McGill, Ottawa, Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier and Windsor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canadian Hoops Talk Forum Index -> CIS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: