Liz Murphy Named EuroBasket News POW & More

National Basketball League of Canada

Moderator:wfs

IceManLikeGervin
Edmonton Journal

Post by IceManLikeGervin » Fri May 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Click link for Edmonton Journal site: http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/baske ... ejoin-team
For the last decade Lizanne Murphy has been the heart and soul of Canada’s national women’s basketball program.

Wearing the Maple Leaf is her biggest motivation when playing the game of basketball. Even after suffering a devastating knee injury back in December while playing for her professional team in France — she was determined to be ready for the Olympics in Rio.

“From the moment I did it, I remember holding on to my knee on the court and I started to count down the days to Rio and that’s been my focus my whole time. I’ve been doing everything I can so I will make it, there was never a thought that I wouldn’t make it,” said Murphy.

“It was very hard. I had 10-12 hours of rehab every single day for five and half months, but I’m back. This injury wasn’t going to be the end of my story.”

When you browse over Team Canada’s roster, you can’t help but gravitate towards Murphy’s name and bio. The veteran has been through all of the growing pains in her 10 years with the program and has been a big part of the rebuilding program, whether it was in her role as a starter or off the bench.

For years, she’s been the team’s big energy player. The emotional leader, always ready to provide a spark.

She’s always believed that big things were on the horizon for Team Canada basketball, and over the past couple years she couldn’t be more right.

She was part of the Team Canada roster that failed to qualify for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. She was part of the team that finally broke through in 2012 to finish eighth in London. Now she’s part of a team that is ready to take that next step in Rio and win a medal.

“Being part of that team that didn’t qualify for the Olympics in 2007… it changed my life, I was determined to help get this team to London (in 2012),” said Murphy.

“I would tell people this team is going to make the Olympics and people often laughed at me and tell me Canada would never make the Olympics in basketball.

“I believe with all my heart we can go to Rio and win a medal.”

Murphy just signed to play her 10th season of pro basketball. She’s played in Finland, Lithuania, Slovakia, Poland and, for the last five years, in France — the last three with Angers (in France). Canada’s roster is now filled with women who play pro hoops all across Europe, but when Murphy made the move to the pros, she was one of the first from the national program to play overseas. Lots has changed since then.

“I was flying on my own. Lots of trial and error. I remember I chose my first agent on Facebook because I thought she looked nice in her profile picture,” smiled Murphy.

“It’s crazy when I look back. In Eastern Europe, it’s so cut throat, and you’re not always guaranteed a contract. Sometimes I had to fight for my money. I’d come home after a loss and Internet would be cut off.

Murphy has found a great situation in France the past several years. Her experiences in Europe have certainly helped her become a stronger player for when she pulls on the Team Canada jersey every summer.

“My goal from the start of my career was to take a step forward every year and play in the best leagues. I had to make a reputation for myself and that’s why I had to start in Eastern Europe first,” said Murphy.

“I play basketball because I love playing basketball for Canada. I enjoy playing in Europe, but my real passion is to play for my country.”

At 32, Murphy doesn’t know what the future holds for her down the road, but she definitely is proud of everything her and teammates have accomplished.

The Olympics in Rio will likely be her last.

“I do believe it’s time for me to finish. We have so many young girls come up, and you have to step aside and let them experience some of the things I have. I have had such an incredible career, and lived out my wildest dreams,” said Murphy.

“I get emotional talking about it. It’s been such an incredible journey I really do savour the last moments, because it’s so great to play for Canada. The girls I play with on the team … they’re my sisters. I want to cherish all these moments the last few years because you can’t recreate these moments in your life again.”